Python Variables (List,Dictionary,Tuple and set)

Share:

List:
List is an interesting data type in python, this data type is a list of values that are stored by one name in our computer storage, and fortunately lists are iterable like string that means we can iterate on that to select one of the elements in our list. so now let’s see an example of list:

    My_list = [1,2,3,’a’,’b’,”Zaki”]

We always put the values of a list inside brackets [] and each element separate by coma (,) from other elements as I mentioned before we can select any element of our list by its index like:

    My_list = [2,2,2.7]
    My_list [0]

We can put the index of our element inside brackets to see or change the value of that index like:

    My_list = [1,2,3.7]
    My_list [0] = 0

Now our first value (1) in our list changed to 0 because we assigned that to value one on above example.

The next interesting thing about lists is this that we can sum two or more than two list with each other like:

    My_first_list = [1,2]
    My_second_list = [3,4]
    My_first_list+ My_second_list

In here the result will be [1,2,3,4] note that we can’t perform these (/,*,-,%) operations on lists.
It was the main concept of lists for now we will have more topics about it soon.

Dictionaries:
Dictionaries are a list of values that each of them has a key to identify them, in this case every element of our dictionaries have two part, a key and then a colon to associate a value to our key then the value of course all of the keys and values are among {} and each element separate by coma (,) from other elements like lists, we will see this in below example:

    My_dic = {‘key1’:2,100:”Zaki”,’key3’:4.5}

Dictionaries uses their keys us their elements index so if you try to select a value by its index you will face to an error. For selecting an element in a dictionary you have to know its key and put that instead of its index among brackets like:

    My_dic = {‘key1’:2,100:”Zaki”,’key3’:4.5}
    My_dic [100]

In here 100 is the key for the value “Zaki” if we want to use a string type key we just type it inside brackets with citations or double citations but for numbers we just use them lonely like:
    
    My_dic = {‘key1’:2,100:”Zaki”,’key3’:4.5}
    My_dic [‘key3’]

It will return value 4.5 for us from our dictionary, of course that when we select an element we can assign that to a new value like:
    
    My_dic = {‘key1’:2,100:”Zaki”,’key3’:4.5}
    My_dic [‘key3’] = 1

now the value of our key3 is 1 in our dictionary. We can add a new key and value very simple later in our code by the following way:

    fruit_price = {‘apple’:1.5,’orange’:3,’banana’:2}
    fruit_price [‘cherry’]=2.5

now if we check our dictionary we can see our new key by the name of ‘cherry’ among our elements with its value.

Tuples:
Tuples are just like lists they store a list of values for us but the main deference is this that tuples can’t be reassigned that means that when we assign values to tuple we can’t change them later. we can define tuples like below example:

    My_tuple = (1,2,3)

As you see we write tuples values inside parenthesis that these parenthesis shows that it is a tuple not a list. We can use indexing to see the value of indexes like:
    
    My_tuple = (‘one’,2,3)
    My_tuple [0]

This will return string ‘one’ for us but if we try to assign it to a new value we will face to error.

Sets:
Sets are a list of values that every value is unique in it, that means which we do not have any duplicate element in sets. We can define a set by following way:

    My_set=set()

Now if we check the My_list type with “ type() ” in our code we will see that it returns a set data type. Now you may ask what can I do with an empty set? You are right an empty set is use less for us in here so if we want to add some values in it we have to use add method to add values in our empty set by following way:

    My_set=set()
    My_set.add(VALUE)

I typed VALUE inside parenthesis for pointing out where the value has to be, for example we can add number or strings instead of VALUE and it will contain it in our list but if we try to add the same value again it will not give us error but it will also not contain it I our set. Now how to remove an existing value from our list? Too easy just instead of .add use .remove and write the value instead of VALUE like below:

    My_set=set()
    My_set.remove(VALUE)

Now you will not see that value in your set.
Note: we have methods for each data type that we learned up to now and we can see the list of them by putting a dot at the of a variable name, if I try to make topics on them so it will be too large topic and in the other side they are very easy I believe you can find the out by yourself so try each of them and see what happens.
It was python variables i hope you enjoy from reading this topic feel free about asking your questions in below.

No comments